This is a quick and really easy ten minute chili cheese frito pie recipe. All you do is open a can of chili, put it on top of some Fritos and put toppings on. My husband grew up eating this recipe – but his family called it American Tacos. When I call it that, no one knows what I’m talking about, so I did some research and found that there is a thing called chili cheese frito pie, which is pretty much the same thing as my husband’s American Tacos. I’m going with the title of chili cheese frito pie Recipe because that’s a good description of what it is.
All you do to make this simple weeknight recipe is to put down a layer of Fritos, then top with chili and taco toppings. It’s really that easy. I used to use a can of chili all the time. It makes it a really fast, inexpensive meal when you’re in a hurry. Then I tried making a simple chili (get the recipe here) and it’s really not that hard and it really tastes better than canned. So the choice is yours . . .
Some substitutions, tips and adaptations to this recipe are:
- I love BBQ Fritos with this recipe.
- I usually crush up the Fritos by hand and put on the top of everything so they stay crunchy (it just doesn’t look as pretty). My husband prefers to keep the Fritos on the bottom so they get a bit soggy and absorb the flavor from the chili.
- It’s really good to mix in some cheddar cheese in with the chili AND also top it with grated cheese.
- Another option is to pre-make the chili and either freeze or can it, so you can have homemade chili in a flash.
- You can buy pre-shredded cheese and make the meal prep even faster.
- It’s a really good meal for a big group of people because because can pick and choose what they want.
- Nacho cheese sauce can be good on top.
- You can change up the recipe and do no ground beef or no beans.
- Choose whatever kind of onions you like for the topping, or use it. It’s good with green onions, red onions or white onions.
- If you want to make the chili from scratch, you can make the chili in the crock pot and it gets nice and flavorful that way. Just combine all the ingredients and let simmer in the crock pot for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- You could also make the chili in an Instant Pot and get similar results to the crock pot. Throw everything in and push the soup button and let it cook for half an hour.
- You can do individual serving bags of Fritos and let people either put the Fritos on their plate – or just let them add the chili and toppings right in to the bag.
Have you ever heard of chili cheese frito pie or American tacos before? I would love to know if you try this recipe and what you think. I really think it’s such a quick, easy way to turn a simple can of chili in to a complete meals. And hey, you even get some veggies, a protein, a carb and a dairy in there. Don’t you just love one bowl meals?
If you like this Chili Cheese Frito Pie, you may also like these recipes:
10 Minute Frito Chili Pie Recipe
This Frito Chili Pie really only takes 10 minutes to make! Put a layer of Fritos, layer of chili and then whatever toppings you want. My kids love it and I love how fast and easy it is to make.
- 1 Can Chili
- 1 bag Corn Chips (such as Fritos)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Green onions chopped
Open can of chili and warm in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove for about 10 minutes.
While the chili is heating up, prepare the toppings.
Serve the chili over a bed of corn chips and top with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, salsa, or green onions, as desired.