Peppermint Meltaways Christmas Cookies Recipe
These peppermint meltaways are the perfect Christmas cookies because they are easy to make and melt in your mouth!
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Total Time: 69 minutes
- Yield: 36
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Christmas, Special Occasion
- 2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 2/3 Cup Cornstarch
- 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Butter (3 sticks, softened)
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 2 1/4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Butter softened
- 2 Tbsp Half and Half
- 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter, powdered sugar and peppermint extract until combined.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix just until combined. If they are dry and don’t combine enough, add a little milk to the mixture.
- Put a lid or plastic wrap on the bowl and put in the fridge for about an hour, until nearly firm.
- During the last 10 minutes of chilling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove from the fridge and scoop dough out 1 even Tablespoon at a time. (I used a cookie scoop, but you could use a measuring spoon. When testing, I didn’t do this the first time and my cookies got bigger every time I made them.)
- Shape in to a ball and put on a greased (or Silpat-lined) baking sheet. Space cookies about 2 inches apart. (They don’t spread much). Press down with the back of a measuring cup with some wax paper between the cookie and the cup so it doesn’t stick. One quick press is enough.
- Keep dough that won’t be baking chilled.
- Bake in a preheated oven until cookies are set and bottoms are lightly golden brown. In my convention oven this took 9-10 minutes. In a regular oven, it could take a few minutes longer. To check the doneness, take the pan out of the oven and gently pick one cookie up and see if it’s a slightly golden brown. If it is, it’s done. They can overcook very easily, so check every minute starting at 9 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and transfer to a wire rack
- Cream together butter, half and half, peppermint extract and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- If frosting is too thick, add a little half half. Too thin, add a little powdered sugar.
- Frost each cookie (I just used a plastic spoon to put the frosting on the cookie and then the back of the spoon to spread it around).
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: peppermint, cookies, christmas